Re: Update messed everything...

From: Boris Samorodov <bsam_at_ipt.ru>
Date: Thu, 09 Jun 2005 19:27:17 +0400
On Thu, 09 Jun 2005 14:34:24 +0200 Grégory Nou wrote:

> Hi

> I updated from 5.4-release to 6.0-current
> Update went ok, but when I reboot after make installworld, ... total mess

> First, i cannot even boot :
> my nvidia graphics card made the system panicing
> Fatal trap 12 : page fault while in kernel mode
> Booting with the console line, I disabled nvidia.ko and the panic
> disappeared.
> (for this point, I suppose I did something wrong during the update)
> Then, new problem. When using /etc/fstab, the system said there was a
> problem.
> And asked me what shell I want to use (you know, the question that
> when you have it, you know you should pray, because problems are only
> beginning)
> Still, the partitions were all mounted.
> i did fsck, but it did not pretend to correct errors on fs
> So I try to look at the man... and there : more unfindable... as for
> less, make, sed, uname, ...
> I know how to fix it using a
> cd. (http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-questions/2005-January/073301.html)
> Still, I need some precisions :
> did I miss some entry in UPDATING ?

When I tried to upgrade from 5.4 to -current, I missed one command
from UPDATING, which I should run at single-user mode:
# fsck -p

And I've got similar problems. While booting system wrote smth like
"sector 32 is not a superblock", "do man fcsk about option -p" and so
on.. Next time I was more precise. All went good.

> When I have everything fixed, should I make buildworld, buildkernel
> and so on from the beginning again ?
> Would fsck -a correct my filesystem ?

I can't recover from the first wrong installation. Only reinstalling
was a success.

WBR
--
bsam