Re: Undefined symbol: i386_get_gsbase:

From: Daniel O'Connor <doconnor_at_gsoft.com.au>
Date: Fri, 10 Jun 2005 10:42:46 +0930
On Fri, 10 Jun 2005 03:11, Daniel Eischen wrote:
> On Thu, 9 Jun 2005, Eric Anderson wrote:
> > I just upgraded from 5.4-PRERELEASE to -CURRENT, and I'm getting this
> > when I run mozilla and a few other apps:
> >
> > $ mozilla
> > /libexec/ld-elf.so.1: /usr/lib/libpthread.so.1: Undefined symbol
> > "i386_get_gsbase"
> >
> > We've seen this before, but I can't seem to find the fix - all I see is
> > reference to David Xu's patch, which is said to have been committed.
> >
> > Can someone point me to a doc, mail archive, or whatever to fix this?
> >
> > I've already rebuilt mozilla and a few other ports.  Oddly enough, when
> > I run it with a remote display set to my laptop (running -current also),
> > it works, but when displaying to the local machine, does not.  I'm
> > rebuilding xorg now in case that helps.
>
> i386_get_gsbase is in libc.so.6.  Either mozilla or something else
> that mozilla requires is using libc.so.5.  At a minimum, you need
> to rebuild mozilla and its dependencies.  Or use portupgrade -af.

There are 2 ways to fix this.
1) Rebuild everything old that is built against libpthread
2) Get a copy of libc.so.5 from a more recent 5.x box (although I am suprised
   5.4 isn't recent enough).

Peter Wemm has (2) available here
http://people.freebsd.org/~peter/libc.so.5

are so many of them to choose from."