TODO list for volunteers (similar to the list of things for Google's summer of code)

From: Alexander Leidinger <Alexander_at_Leidinger.net>
Date: Sun, 12 Jun 2005 15:44:03 +0200
Hi,

I want to compile a list of things where a volunteer can pick an entry
and improve FreeBSD. It's similar to the list of things one can do when
he wants to participate in Google's summer of code, but without the
restrictions (they want real code only, AFAIK docs improvements without
source code doesn't count) or benefits (they give you money for the
work) of it. This doesn't mean you aren't allowed to sponsor some
entries :-), it just means a volunteer gets only the spiritual benefits
(an entry in the official contributors list) guaranteed.

It should be a list of things which need to be fixed (e.g. CPU usage
display in top when a program uses threads or fixing/improving the
locking of the sound subsystem) and a list of new features we want to
see in FreeBSD (e.g. documenting the sound subsystem or implementing
iSCSI).

I already have a list of ~16 entries (on paper) and like to get your
ideas too to compile a nice list. This isn't limited to src/ stuff only,
feel free to also tell me about your favorite doc/ or ports/ task
(regarding ports: only tell me about infrastructure changes, not about
individual ports you want to see show up in the collection; in general:
please don't tell me about open PRs which need to get committed).
Ideally you should tell me about the requirements of a task too. Also
feel free to tell me if you're willing to mentor a specific kind of
work or if you want to coordinate something (like on the summer of code
page).

If you want to submit entries which are important but covered on other
FreeBSD pages (like on the SMP, dingo or bigdisk pages) please submit
the links to those pages instead.

I will also add those entries from the summer of code list, which
aren't taken after google doesn't accept new participants anymore.

I intend to write everything up over the next week and give it to some
of our docs people for SGML review (if nobody volunteers I pick someone
out of the blue and ask nicely for a review :-) ).

Bye,
Alexander.

--
           Intel: where Quality is job number 0.9998782345!

http://www.Leidinger.net                       Alexander _at_ Leidinger.net