Re: Looking for networking solution.

From: Peter Jeremy <PeterJeremy_at_optushome.com.au>
Date: Thu, 16 Jun 2005 05:04:19 +1000
On Wed, 2005-Jun-15 12:06:18 +0200, M.Jessa wrote:
>I am looking for solution I could implement on a link with a huge latency
>when ping replies can go up to a few hundred miliseconds, e.g sateliete
>links.

What is the problem you are trying to solve?  Satellite links have a
fairly constant round-trip delay and the RTT calculations built into
TCP will happily compensate for this.  As long as the TCP window size
is larger than the delay*bandwidth and the packet loss probability is
well below 1 packet per window, TCP should work fine.

>What I was thinking about is some kind of virtual interface which could
>translate tcp to udp in one of the pears of the link and push the data it
>received from a 'normal' interface through the virtual interface without
>bothering about ack-timing.

How does the transmitter confirm that the receiver has received packets
and can therefore drop them from its transmit buffer (or resend them if
they are not received)?  In particular, if there is no traffic for a
period, the only way that the last packet (before the break) can be
confirmed is via acknowledge timeouts.

--
Peter Jeremy