Re: Looking for networking solution.

From: <ray_at_redshift.com>
Date: Thu, 16 Jun 2005 02:35:27 -0700
Marcin,

  What is it you are trying to accomplish and/or solve here?  Switching between
UDP and TCP isn't going to have much impact on your problem if it is a function
of a lower network layer.

  In a case where you have a questionable connection, TCP is really what you
want, because UDP has a habit of saying "oh, can't get this packet to ya, sorry,
see ya later, drop packet".  In other words, UDP is more a hope for the best
sort of situation, whereas TCP has built in retranmission, error checking, etc.

  Again, I'm not sure what exactly you are trying to accomplish with this idea?

Ray

At 11:45 AM 6/15/2005 +0200, Marcin Jessa wrote:
| Hi guys.
|
| I am looking for solution I could implement on a link with a huge latency when
ping replies can go up to a few hundred miliseconds, e.g sateliete links.
| What I was thinking about is some kind of virtual interface which could
translate tcp to udp in one of the pears of the link and push the data it
received from a 'normal' interface through the virtual interface without
bothering about ack-timing.
| The receiving end would have a similar interface which would translate the udp
data stream to tcp and then route it out to the internet.
| (normal network)tcp<-->virtual udp interface<-------->virtual udp
interface<-->tcp(normal network)