Re: Looking for networking solution.

From: Frank Mayhar <fmayhar_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 16 Jun 2005 05:37:18 -0700
On Wed, 2005-06-15 at 11:45 +0200, Marcin Jessa wrote:
> I am looking for solution I could implement on a link with a huge latency when ping replies can go up to a few hundred miliseconds, e.g sateliete links.
> What I was thinking about is some kind of virtual interface which could translate tcp to udp in one of the pears of the link and push the data it received from a 'normal' interface through the virtual interface without bothering about ack-timing.
> The receiving end would have a similar interface which would translate the udp data stream to tcp and then route it out to the internet.
> (normal network)tcp<-->virtual udp interface<-------->virtual udp interface<-->tcp(normal network)
>
> Is there something avaliable on FreeBSD that can be used for that purpose?
> Maybe someone is working on such a thing in CURRENT ?
> Any thoughts about that? Any sugestions for a solution?

You want SCPS (the Space Communications Protocols Specification)
software.  Briefly, it fakes local TCP on either end while talking its
own protocol over the high-latency link.  I don't know if there is any
open-source package available but there are certainly commercial
solutions out there.
--
Frank Mayhar frank_at_exit.com     http://www.exit.com/
Exit Consulting                 http://www.gpsclock.com/