Re: Replace /rescue/vi with mined(1) from DragonFlyBSD

From: Steve Kargl <sgk_at_troutmask.apl.washington.edu>
Date: Fri, 17 Jun 2005 21:14:43 -0700
On Sat, Jun 18, 2005 at 02:33:35AM +0200, Marcin Jessa wrote:
> On Fri, 17 Jun 2005 14:19:50 -0700
> Steve Kargl <sgk_at_troutmask.apl.washington.edu> wrote:
>
> > I have taken mined(1) from DragonFlyBSD and integrated into the
> > FreeBSD source tree.  This is a very lightweight full screen
> > editor with builtin support for cons25 and xterm.  Yes, it is
> > limited in its capabilites compared with /rescue/vi, but saves
> > use 360 kB of diskspace and it does not require a termcap file.
>
> Great, this will make a good alternative for embedded systems.

phk has tersely spoken out against mined(1), so I doubt
it will ever meet the FreeBSD src tree.  From my search,
I've found that /rescue/vi has been present since 29 Jun
03.  PR bin/80256, which notes that /rescue/vi needs a
termcap file, was opened on 22 Apr 2005.  After a short
discussion (see PR audit trail), a 4 kB termcap file
was stuck in the PR and there it sits.

So, we can conclude (1) that no one uses /rescue/vi,
or (2) /rescue/vi alsways works because a panic usr will
never ever destroy /usr/share/misc/termcap, or (3) the
entire FreeBSD user base is familiar the arcane ed(1).

--
Steve