Re: Current amd64, "nve0: device timeout" with nForce4 ethernet

From: Bjoern A. Zeeb <bzeeb-lists_at_lists.zabbadoz.net>
Date: Mon, 20 Jun 2005 07:57:29 +0000 (UTC)
On Mon, 20 Jun 2005, Søren Schmidt wrote:

> On 20/06/2005, at 2:23, Pascal Hofstee wrote:
>
> > On 6/19/05, Paul Richards <paul.richards_at_gmail.com> wrote:

[ "nve0: device timeout(..)" ]

> > I have a similar problem with my onboard nForce3 based ethernet card.
> > it gets probed/attached just fine ... but drying to actually use the
> > interface gives device timeouts. this is on FreeBSD/amd64 6.0-CURRENT
> > (about 2 days ago)
>
> Ditto here, although it used to work in 100Mbit mode, 1000Mbit mode
> has always been trouble here. I guess the last round of if_* changes
> ruined lunch but havn't looked into it yet.

I had and still have trouble with an nf4 on 100Mbit/s before the ifnet
changes. The problem is that I only have three Marvell PCIes in that
machine so ENOTNET until the nf4 works.

I tried to PXE boot with the nf4 and that worked up to the point
kernel tried to mount NFS root which gave me above timeout message.

Pre-loading an mdimage also worked but it stopped at about 32Mb and
thus had been unusable. Don't know if that's a limitation of
PXE/loader or another problem. Haven't had the time to build a
stripped image.