Re: Getting WPA to work on ath(4)

From: Tai-hwa Liang <avatar_at_mmlab.cse.yzu.edu.tw>
Date: Fri, 24 Jun 2005 12:10:51 +0800 (CST)
On Thu, 23 Jun 2005, Wilko Bulte wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 23, 2005 at 05:31:39PM -0400, James Snow wrote..
>> On Thu, Jun 23, 2005 at 11:16:20PM +0200, Wilko Bulte wrote:
>>>
>>> How do you disable WME?  [ I feel stranded in a maze of acronyms, all
>>> different :-) ]
>>
>> ifconfig <if> -wme
>>
>> I think it's in the ifconfig man page, but I reserve the right to be
>> wrong. If it's not, it clearly should be.
>
> It is indeed in the ifconfig man page.
>
>> My understanding is that we do something wrong with WME right now, and
>> this in turn makes APs unhappy with us.
>
> Smells like WME should default to 'off'?

   It is. See src/sys/net80211/ieee80211.c:1.16.

   AFAIK, the problem is that there are some interoperability problems
when you have both WME + WPA enabled. Disable one of them should be a
possible workaround.  I believe that Sam has some fixes in his queue;
however, those fixes were not yet ready for the forthcoming 6-RELEASE.

>>> I noticed today that wpa_supplicant renegotiated multiple times even with
>>> SSID broadcasting enabled.  So it was most definitely not the full
>>> fix to enable broadcasting.

   That's what I observed around here: sometimes it takes wpa_supplicant
looping multiple times before negotiated to the AP(w/ or w/o hidden SSID).

>> Well, we also shouldn't have to enable broadcasting to get
>> wpa_supplicant to work. I exchanging emails with Sam Leffler about this,
>> but he's on vacation this week.
>
> OK

   Apart from multiple regotiation sometimes, scan_ssid=1 works for me.
Have you tried to set the IP manually(no dhclient) after ath0 was
associated with the AP?

--
Cheers,

Tai-hwa Liang