Re: cpufreq & enhanced speedstep

From: Colin Percival <cperciva_at_freebsd.org>
Date: Fri, 24 Jun 2005 11:40:34 -0700
Michal Vanco wrote:
> i'm trying to make cpufreq working on my laptop (Fujitsu Siemens
> Lifebook 8020). I get the following in my dmesg after kldload-ing
> cpufreq module:
>
> acpi_perf0: <ACPI CPU Frequency Control> on cpu0
> acpi_perf0: failed in PERF_STATUS attach
> device_attach: acpi_perf0 attach returned 6
> acpi_perf0: <ACPI CPU Frequency Control> on cpu0
> acpi_perf0: failed in PERF_STATUS attach
> device_attach: acpi_perf0 attach returned 6

I don't know how acpi_perf works, but I'm guessing that this means
that your laptop doesn't have ACPI performance tables...

> est0: <Enhanced SpeedStep Frequency Control> on cpu0
> est: CPU supports Enhanced Speedstep, but is not recognized.
> est: Please update driver or contact the maintainer.
> est: cpu_vendor GenuineIntel, msr 6120d2606000d26, bus_clk, 64
> device_attach: est0 attach returned 6

... but I know exactly how est works, since I wrote it.  You have a
recent processor for which Intel hasn't released the frequency/voltage
tables; as a result, the est driver can't support it.

(Apparently the data I need is in an NDA'ed BIOS writers' guide.  Can
anyone convince Intel to give me a copy?)

Colin Percival