Re: 6.0-current panic: loading radeon module

From: Eric Anholt <eta_at_lclark.edu>
Date: Sun, 26 Jun 2005 16:42:25 -0700
On Sun, 2005-06-26 at 19:19 -0400, Martin Cracauer wrote:
> > OK, one more try, for everyone who's been having hangs/reboots on X
> > startup since April.  Attached is a patch that will hopefully kill the
> > problem off.
>
> The candidate gets 100 points.  It fixes the panic and hardware 3D
> worked for a few tests.  No other side effects observed.  Thanks so
> much!
>
> Out of curiosity, why does a 32 MB VRAM card try to map 128 MB?

Do you only had 32MB?  If so, oops on my part.  Every other case of this
I had seen was 128MB, so I was just assuming.  Basically the issue
(afaik) is that you're running out of KVA because framebuffers are large
and KVA isn't all that huge.  pmap_mapdev was not designed to handle
failure to allocate memory, so it just paniced instead of returning NULL
(which wouldn't have helped us anyway, due to other issues).

--
Eric Anholt                                     eta_at_lclark.edu
http://people.freebsd.org/~anholt/              anholt_at_FreeBSD.org