Re: Interrupt storm

From: John Baldwin <jhb_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Wed, 29 Jun 2005 14:37:49 -0400
On Tuesday 05 April 2005 03:46 pm, Dan Cojocar wrote:
> On Apr 5, 2005 9:23 PM, John Baldwin <jhb_at_freebsd.org> wrote:

> > >     If I use APIC, I will get "watchdog timeout" as i posted in an old
> >
> > email:
> > >
> > >    Thanks,
> > >              Dan
> >
> > That's indicative of other interrupt routing problems.  This is with APIC
> > + ACPI, yes? If you disable ACPI, does APIC work or is it not found?
> > Also, if you disable ACPI, does non-APIC work ok?
>
>    Yes i get "watchdog timeout" if i use ACPI+APIC.
>    Here is my dmesg for current+acpi+apic.
>      http://cs.ubbcluj.ro/~dan/current+acpi+apic.txt
>    If i disable acpi, the system is not able to boot to the login
> prompt. I did a break
> into debugger after waiting for 15 minutes and i noticed that the
> interrupts for rl0 are increasing very quickly, so i think that is why
> the system is so slow.
>   Here is a dmesg for current without ACPI and with APIC, but only in
> single mode
> without if_rl module and many other modules.
>     http://cs.ubbcluj.ro/~dan/current+noacpi+apic+singlemode.txt
>   And if I disable ACPI i don't see the interrupts storms but i don't
> have ACPI :(
>     http://cs.ubbcluj.ro/~dan/current+noacpi+noapic.txt
>   And here is current with ACPI and without APIC:
>     http://cs.ubbcluj.ro/~dan/current+acpi+noapic.txt
>    Thanks,
>             Dan

I haven't forgotten about this, I've just been busy.  So, I'm still trying to
understand.  Correct me if I'm wrong: APIC always gets interrupt storms; it
doesn't matter if ACPI is enabled or disabled.  Without APIC, ACPI gives you
interrupt storms, but no ACPI works fine.  Is that correct?  Do you get
interrupt storms if ACPI is enabled but APIC is not on both current and
RELENG_5?