Re: UPDATE: ATA mkIII first official patches - please test!

From: Rong-En Fan <grafan_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 3 Mar 2005 02:13:35 +0800
On 17 Feb 2005 12:03:46 +0100, Bengt Ahlgren <bengta_at_sics.se> wrote:
> Andrew Heybey <ath_at_niksun.com> writes:
>
> > ATA mkIII has improved my Toshiba Tecra M2V running RELENG_5.
> >
> > Before, it would complain about "ATAPI_IDENTIFY TIMED OUT" on
> > ata1-slave (the cdrom is ata1-master) when booting (but still would
> > work).  Even worse, when resuming from a memory suspend (S3) it would
> > lose ad0 and hence crash, with messages on the console:
> >
> > ad0: FAILURE - ATA_IDENTIFY timed out
> > ad0: WARNING - removed from configuration
> >
> > With mkIII, it now works fine: no complaints when booting and suspend/resume
> > to memory works.
>
> Interesting!  The IBM TPX40 exhibits the above resume behaviour when
> using "device apic", but not without apic when running 5.3-RELEASE.

Hmm.. my IBM TP X31 running 2/27's current, I saw some

ad0: READ_DMA timeout (retry 2 left) LBA=....

and it hangs, hdd's light is on. I have to press power button to turn off it.
Strangely, after resume, it is alive for about 2 seconds before
that message. Anyway, I don't have apic in kernel conf.

rafan.