mount_smbfs has terrible transfer rates on my 5.3-R box

From: Travis Poppe <tlpbsd_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 4 Mar 2005 15:19:49 -0700
Hello,

Decided I better report this just in case it is an unknown problem.

Somewhat recently, I was pulling my hair out because I couldn't figure
out why transfers between my FreeBSD box and a family member's XP box
were so slow. For some reason, it never came to me that it might be
mount_smbfs causing it, which was the last thing I ended up testing.
It turns out that it was responsible for the slow transfer rates.

Anyway, when copying files using mount_smbfs as opposed to smbclient,
I get about 20-25% of the potential speed on my network
(100baseTX-Full Duplex). When using smbclient, there appears to be no
transfer rate problem whatsoever.

I'm running FreeBSD 5.3-RELEASE, I've tested this using both a RealTek
card (forget which) and my current 3Com card: xl0: <3Com 3c905C-TX
Fast Etherlink XL>

Thanks,

-Travis Poppe