Re: Philips Wearable Audio Player (128) fails to attach

From: Johannes Weiner <hnaz_at_tutorialzone.de>
Date: Sat, 5 Mar 2005 02:06:24 +0100
On Thu, Mar 03, 2005 at 07:29:58PM +0100, Johannes Weiner wrote:
> dmesg:
> 	umass0: Philips Wearable Audio Player (128 MB), rev 1.10/0.01, addr 2
> 	usbd_setup_pipe: failed to start endpoint, IOERROR
> 	device_attach: umass0 attach returned 6
>
> usbdevs -v:
> 	Controller /dev/usb0:
> 	addr 1: full speed, self powered, config 1, OHCI root
> 	hub(0x0000), SiS(0x0000), rev 1.00
> 	port 1 powered
> -->	port 2 addr 2: full speed, self powered, config 1, product 0x0142(0x0142), vendor 0x0471(0x0471), rev 0.01
> 	port 3 powered

environment is:
	FreeBSD paranoise 6.0-CURRENT FreeBSD 6.0-CURRENT #0: Fri Mar 4 00:30:15 CET 2005
	root_at_paranoise:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/PARANOISE  i386

kernelconfig:
	machine         i386
	cpu             I686_CPU
	ident           PARANOISE

	makeoptions     DEBUG=-g                # gdb debugging symbols

	options         SCHED_4BSD              # 4BSD scheduler
	options         PREEMPTION              # Kernel thread
	preemption
	options         INET                    # InterNET
	options         FFS                     # Fast Filesystem
	options         SOFTUPDATES             # FFS soft updates
	options         UFS_ACL                 # ACL support
	options         UFS_DIRHASH             # Better performance on big dirs

	options         CD9660                  # ISO 9660 support
	options         PROCFS                  # Process filesystem
	options         PSEUDOFS                # Pseudo filesystem
	options         COMPAT_43               # BSD 4.3 compatible
	options         COMPAT_FREEBSD4         # FBSD 4 compatible
	options         KTRACE                  # ktrace support
	options         SYSVSHM                 # SysV like shared mem
	options         SYSVMSG                 # SysV like message queues
	options         SYSVSEM                 # SysV like semaphores [??]
	options         _KPOSIX_PRIORITY_SCHEDULING     # POSIX P1003_1B real-time extension [??]
	options         KBD_INSTALL_CDEV        # CDEV entry in /dev
	options         AHC_REG_PRETTY_PRINT    # Print register bitfields in debug output.  Adds ~128k to driver.
	options         AHD_REG_PRETTY_PRINT    # Print register bitfields in debug output.  Adds ~215k to driver.
	options         ADAPTIVE_GIANT          # Giant mutex is
	adaptive

	options         KDB                     # Kernel debugger
	options         GDB                     # Remote GDB support
	options         INVARIANTS              # Sanity checks
	options         INVARIANT_SUPPORT       # needed by ^
	#options                WITNESS                 # Deadlocks and cycles detection
	#options                WITNESS_SKIPSPIN        # No witness on spinlocks - speed relevant

	device          apic                    # I/O apic

	device          isa
	device          pci

	device          ata
	device          atadisk
	device          atapicd
	device          atapicam

	device          scbus                   # SCSI bus
	device          da                      # Direct access
	device          pass                    # passthrough

	device          atkbdc                  # AT keyboard controller
	device          atkbd                   # AT keyboard
	device          psm                     # PS/2 mouse

	device          vga
	device          sc                      # Sysconsole
	device          agp

	device          npx

	device          ppbus                   # Parallel port bus

	device          miibus
	device          rl                      # Realtek 8139 nic

	device          loop
	device          mem
	device          io
	device          random
	device          ether
	device          ppp
	device          tun
	device          pty
	device          md
	device          gif                     # IPv6 + IPv4 tunneling
	device          faith                   # IPv6 -> IPv4 relay

	device          bpf                     # Berkeley packet filter

	device          uhci
	device          ohci
	device          ehci
	device          usb
	device          ugen
	device          umass

	options         SC_PIXEL_MODE           # For pixel rendering
	console
	options         VESA

########

If any other information needed, PLEASE mail.
This stick already ran with 5.2.1 IIRC, but this was some time ago and i
had to fix the kernel with some quirks which now dont seem to work
anymore.

> Can't figure out, why this happens. Found some code-snippets for this
> player in the bug-database, which add some quirks for device-handling,
> but they didnt work.

Hannes