KVM USB

From: Alex Welycz <theawel_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 9 Mar 2005 14:10:49 -0500
All,

I'm using FreeBSD 5.3 and I've run into a bit of a problem. I am using
a KVM switch that does not keep a live connection to the computer when
switching between computers ie. the computers show that the usb
keyboard/mouse are unplugged when you switch between them. My problem
occurs when the i switch from my Windows box back to my FreeBSD box.
The USB deamon on the BSD box shows that the keyboard is recognized
and loads it but when i try to use the keyboard nothing comes up. The
USB keyboard does work when I reboot the BSD box and dont switch
between computers. Now how I get the USB keyboard to work when i
switch between computers I have to run this script.

sleep 15
kbdcontrol -k /dev/kbd1 < /dev/ttyv0 > /dev/null

Apparently when I reboot the box everything works fine, the USB
keyboard is accessed as

kbd0 -> ukbd0

but when I switch between boxes and switch back the keyboard doesnt
get mounted at

kbd0 -> ukbd0 but instead is mounted at kbd1 -> ukbd1.

So my question is how do I get FreeBSD to always mount the keyboard as
kbd0 -> ukbd0 and not kbd1 -> ukbd1

Because upon bootup my kbdcontrol is called as:

 kbdcontrol -k /dev/kbd0 < /dev/ttyv0 > /dev/null and cannot be called
wih kbd1 because at bootup that device does not exist, and also that
device disappears when I swicth to my other computer so kbdcontrol
sets itself back to kbd0.

I also use hint.atkbd.0.disabled="1" in loader.conf since I have no PS/2 device