Re: Higher interrupt rate after recent SMP/APIC timer changes?

From: David Malone <dwmalone_at_maths.tcd.ie>
Date: Sat, 12 Mar 2005 08:05:03 +0000
On Fri, Mar 11, 2005 at 11:51:40PM +0100, Daniel Eriksson wrote:
> This is an SMP box (dual AMD AthlonMP) running with HZ=2000 and POLLING
> enabled. Should I worry about the 4k intr/sec reported for lapic0 and
> lapic1, or is this the way things should be?

I believe this is what you should expect. The when using the lapic
for timers, the lapic is programmed to interrupt at HZ*2 and then
other timers are generated. See the commit messages for version
1.14 and 1.13 at:

	http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/cvsweb.cgi/src/sys/i386/i386/local_apic.c

for more details. (There is also one lapic per processor - previously
one timer interrupt would happen and then the processer that handeled
that interrupt would have to forward it to other processors.)

	David.