Re: upgrade-path to 5.4

From: Doug White <dwhite_at_gumbysoft.com>
Date: Tue, 15 Mar 2005 10:24:20 -0800 (PST)
On Tue, 15 Mar 2005, Claus Guttesen wrote:

> Hi.
>
> I have two NFS-servers, one running 5.2-current from
> Feb 18 2004 and the other 5.3 beta 3. They are both
> equipped with a qlogic 2310 hba, and one with a
> aic7899 adapter, PIII at 1 GHz (DL380 G2). They are
> serving 8 webservers. Both are very stable.

Good to hear!

> I'll have some downtime next week and 5.4 won't be
> ready by then, but will the upgrade to 5.4 be easier
> doing an incremental 5.3->5.4-upgrade, or should I
> just go straight to 5.4 (and wait some weeks)?

It can't hurt, although 5.3 beta 3 is pretty much 5.3-R.  Technically you
should be able to roll up to the top of RELENG_5 without problems (modulo
anything in UPDATING of course).

> Does the qlogic card no longer require both
>
> device  isp
> device  ispfw
>
> but only device isp in either 5.3 or 5.4?

What do you mean by "require"?  isp is the device driver, and you want
ispfw so you get more robust loop handling.  Without ispfw the card can
lock up if there's no loop connected, and it hoses the system pretty good
when that happens. I know from experience :)

You can of course load them as modules.