Re: Panic: Use-after-free in bfe

From: Tai-hwa Liang <avatar_at_mmlab.cse.yzu.edu.tw>
Date: Wed, 16 Mar 2005 16:09:02 +0800 (CST)
On Tue, 15 Mar 2005 pcasidy_at_casidy.com wrote:
> On 14 Mar, Tai-hwa Liang wrote:
>> Hello Phil,
>>
>>    Would you please rebuild your if_bfe.ko with the attached patch and
>> tell me whether it fixes your problem or not?  The attached patch is for
>> -CURRENT as of Mar-12-2005; however, you should be able to apply it to
>> 5-STABLE as well.
>
> Good news: no more crash

   Great! Looks like I can close kern/77804 as well.

> Bad news: as soon as I give an IP adress to the interface, the link is
> down (the link led on the switch is light off)
> When I boot the computer, the led on the switch is on.
> When I kldload if_bfe, the led is still on.
> When I dhclient or ifconfig bfe0 the NIC to give it an adress, the led
> is off and I have the message:
> Interrupt storm detected on "irq18: bfe0 uhci2"; throttling interrupt
> source.
>
> One step in the good direction anyway!

   Not sure about the reason of the interrupt storm you observed; however,
the link down problem sounds like some sort of switch incompatibility to me.
I remembered that someone said that manually tweak the media type *may*
be a possible workaround(i.e. "ifconfig bfe0 media 10baseT/UTP" or
"ifconfig bfe0 media 100baseTX).

   Does direct connect through crossover cable to another computer work
for you?

--
Cheers,
Tai-hwa Liang