Re: EHCI enabled in GENERIC

From: Bernd Walter <ticso_at_cicely12.cicely.de>
Date: Wed, 16 Mar 2005 15:05:58 +0100
On Wed, Mar 16, 2005 at 10:30:28AM +0000, Ian Dowse wrote:

> The EHCI driver (USB 2.0) has been enabled in the -CURRENT GENERIC
> config for the i386 and amd64 platforms. Let me know if this causes
> problems. There are still some outstanding issues, but there are
> also systems where USB does not function at all without EHCI enabled.

ehci should also work for alpha, but it has be removed from the
install kernel for size reasons.

> If there any severe problems then I'll remove it, or at least add
> a tunable or hint to disable ehci.

Not followed current development state.
I think you managed to get high speed hubs working now.
Another traditional show stopper was the reprobe of devices when ehci
took over control for ports that their companion controller already
had probed plus a few drivers that panic and devices with broken
firmware that hang if catched at the wrong time.
Even if everything with the reprobe works fine - things take much
longer to boot - probing USB devices is a slow story right now
and take around a second per device.
It can easily delay booting for Minutes on systems with lots of
USB devices.

bernd_at_bwct.de                                  info_at_bwct.de