Re: ATAPICAM Problem

From: Kevin Oberman <oberman_at_es.net>
Date: Wed, 16 Mar 2005 13:12:58 -0800
> Date: Wed, 16 Mar 2005 07:30:14 -0800
> From: Jeff Smick <sprsquish_at_gmail.com>
> Sender: owner-freebsd-current_at_freebsd.org
>
> If there's an idiot of the week list you can put my name on top. I
> went back to the handbook and realized I wasn't doing the very first
> step (I did it the first time, but not after that). I forgot to run
> 'config KERNEL' after setting new options. It works now.
>
> I sincerely appreciate all your efforts.

Jeff,

Please don't do this. There was just a case on stable_at_ (I think) where
someone had hosed their system this way. It can be dangerous although it
almost always works and it is needed in current in just one case:
* If you have installed only the kernel source code

It is also safe when your sources have not changed since the last kernel
build (which is likely the case for you), but it is NOT safe on current
if the sources have been updated, so I tend to strongly discourage its
use in all normal circumstances.

I would suggest:
cd /usr/src
make -DMODULES_WITH_WORLD kernel KERNCONF=config_file_name

This will only rebuild the kernel and not the modules, so it will be
fast. It is also safe in all cases where full sources are present.
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)