Re: ATAPICAM Problem

From: Jon Noack <noackjr_at_alumni.rice.edu>
Date: Thu, 17 Mar 2005 00:32:46 -0600
On 03/16/05 19:54, Jeff Smick wrote:
> On Wed, 16 Mar 2005 13:12:58 -0800, Kevin Oberman <oberman_at_es.net> wrote:
>>>Date: Wed, 16 Mar 2005 07:30:14 -0800
>>>From: Jeff Smick <sprsquish_at_gmail.com>
>>>Sender: owner-freebsd-current_at_freebsd.org
>>>
>>>If there's an idiot of the week list you can put my name on top. I
>>>went back to the handbook and realized I wasn't doing the very first
>>>step (I did it the first time, but not after that). I forgot to run
>>>'config KERNEL' after setting new options. It works now.
>>>
>>>I sincerely appreciate all your efforts.
>>
>>Please don't do this. There was just a case on stable_at_ (I think) where
>>someone had hosed their system this way. It can be dangerous although it
>>almost always works and it is needed in current in just one case:
>>* If you have installed only the kernel source code
>>
>>It is also safe when your sources have not changed since the last kernel
>>build (which is likely the case for you), but it is NOT safe on current
>>if the sources have been updated, so I tend to strongly discourage its
>>use in all normal circumstances.
>>
>>I would suggest:
>>cd /usr/src
>>make -DMODULES_WITH_WORLD kernel KERNCONF=config_file_name
>>
>>This will only rebuild the kernel and not the modules, so it will be
>>fast. It is also safe in all cases where full sources are present.
>
> Thank you for the tip. I only knew about the options presented in the
> handbook on building a custom kernel and running "make buildkernel
> KERNCONF=blah" gave me "make: don't know how to make buildkernel.
> Stop"
>
> Is there something I need to do to be able to use that tactic or
> should I just stick with your suggestion?

Were you in /usr/src when you tried to 'make buildkernel KERNCONF=blah'?
  The buildkernel target is defined in /usr/src/Makefile.inc1 (included
from /usr/src/Makefile).  Therefore, 'make buildkernel' will only work
in /usr/src.  The handbook section on building a kernel the "new way"
lists the steps as follows:
1) # cd /usr/src
2) # make buildkernel KERNCONF=MYKERNEL
3) # make installkernel KERNCONF=MYKERNEL

The handbook is a bit confusing on this.  It calls the config(8) kernel
build the "traditional way" and 'make buildkernel' the "new way".  If I
am a new user and don't want to stray far from the norm, wouldn't I pick
the "traditional way"?  Shouldn't we make it more clear the "new way" is
the "recommended and officially sanctioned way"?

Jon