Re: ATAPICAM Problem

From: Kevin Oberman <oberman_at_es.net>
Date: Thu, 17 Mar 2005 08:48:59 -0800
> Date: Thu, 17 Mar 2005 14:45:39 +0800
> From: Jiawei Ye <leafy7382_at_gmail.com>
> Sender: owner-freebsd-current_at_freebsd.org
>
> On Thu, 17 Mar 2005 00:32:46 -0600, Jon Noack <noackjr_at_alumni.rice.edu> wrote:
> > The handbook is a bit confusing on this.  It calls the config(8) kernel
> > build the "traditional way" and 'make buildkernel' the "new way".  If I
> > am a new user and don't want to stray far from the norm, wouldn't I pick
> > the "traditional way"?  Shouldn't we make it more clear the "new way" is
> > the "recommended and officially sanctioned way"?
> >
> > Jon
> My suggestion would be
> s/traditional/deprecated
> s/new/standard
>
> $.2

Since there is still one case where the "traditional" method needs to be
used, I don't think is should/can be deprecated. Instead I think the
"new" method should be described as simply the method to use if full
sources are present and that the "traditional" method is the method to
use if full sources are not available. The terms "new " and "traditional
should be deleted and the order reversed since most people do keep the
full sources these days.
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)