Re: rcNG changes/aditions

From: M. Warner Losh <imp_at_bsdimp.com>
Date: Thu, 17 Mar 2005 12:38:14 -0700 (MST)
In message: <42375FD2.2080706_at_freebsd.org>
            Doug Barton <dougb_at_freebsd.org> writes:
: Jose M Rodriguez wrote:
: > El Martes, 15 de Marzo de 2005 02:43, Doug Barton escribió:
: >
: >>Jose M Rodriguez wrote:
: >>
: >>>Hi,
: >>>I'll glad to know if this is of interest:
: >>>
: >>>update to PR conf/75137 (sound modules): I rework this adding
: >>>support for preloaded modules to /etc/rc.subr
: >>
: >>Why is this necessary? My understanding is that modules load
: >>themselves when called. Do the sound modules do this differently?
: >>
: >
: >
: > This is not needed (I think). You can load modules
: > via /boot/loader.conf, but may be more confortable if we 'go modules'
: > in a future.
:
: I don't think you understand what I'm saying. For most modules, it is not
: actually necessary to pre-load them at all. For example, I have cd9660 as a
: module, it's not compiled into my kernel. When I mount a cd9660 file system
: the kernel module is automatically loaded. There is no need to pre-load it.
: The same is true of (most) modules that create devices, such as ndis.
:
: I don't know the specifics of the sound module, I compile it into my kernel.
: However, as you pointed out in the rare case that it's necessary to actually
: pre-load a kernel module (such as agp), we have a mechanism for that in
: loader.conf already. I don't think that adding that code to rc.subr is a
: useful exercise, and in fact I would oppose it as needless duplication of
: effort.

It is also better to have the boot loader load modules that you are
going to load right away anyway.  Having it in rc is insane.

Warner