Re: FreeBSD sound distortion problems with SB Live! fixed with PREEMPTION

From: alexander <arundel_at_h3c.de>
Date: Fri, 18 Mar 2005 20:22:40 +0100
Same problem here. I spoke to Travis a few days ago and he told me about this issue.
I didn't even realize that this was a bug in the driver or somewhere in the kernel I/O
routines. I thought it was a problem with xmms or some problems with the cables of my
speakers or something like that.

I'm expiriencing constant crackling dutring the playback of mp3s and probably a lot of other
audio file formats. Also xmms and mplayer have problems upon track changes. The very first
microseconds of each audio file are being skiped.

I don't think this is a problem with any of the audio players, because they worked fine
with previous versions of FBSD. Also the driver for my audio card (SoundBlaster Audigy 2)
hasn't change much since it was first comitted into the 5-CURRENT branch. It's the patch
for Audigy 1/2 cards by Orlando Bassotto. Plus I used both the drivers that are available
(emu10k1 and emu10kx). It doesn't make any difference!

So I guess it is a kernel issue. I'm running the following version of FBSD right now:

5.4-PRERELEASE FreeBSD 5.4-PRERELEASE #0: Sun Feb 27 16:54:49 CET 2005

So the issue is not limited to 6-CURRENT. I don't think this problem existed in 4-STABLE.
Also I'm pretty sure that this issue didn't exist in 5.3-RELEASE. I believe some code that
was comitted to 6-CURRENT as well as to 5-STABLE caused these problems.