Heads up: gtar gone from base system

From: Tim Kientzle <kientzle_at_freebsd.org>
Date: Thu, 24 Mar 2005 22:53:49 -0800
FreeBSD 6-CURRENT no longer includes "gtar."
In particular, the WITH_GTAR option is gone
and "tar" will always invoke the "bsdtar"
program.

If you need a feature that gtar has and the FreeBSD system
tar lacks, you still have a few options:

   * Install "gtar" from ports and invoke "gtar"
     instead of "tar"

   * Tell the tar maintainer (me!) about it and
     see if it can get added.  (I've recently
     added -newer-xxx, --strip-components, and
     --totals in response to user requests.)

Similar comments apply for those who cannot live
without star, pdtar, or any other common archiving
program.

Tim

P.S. To allay any confusion:  gtar remains in 5.x
indefinitely; the WITH_GTAR option will continue
to be supported there.