Re: Reattach/redetect allways connected umass device - is it possible ?

From: Scott Long <scottl_at_samsco.org>
Date: Mon, 28 Mar 2005 09:28:28 -0700
Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:
> In message <42481C66.7090409_at_samsco.org>, Scott writes:
>

>>So are you saying that an async notification mechanism needs to be
>>invented for SCSI, or that all SCSI users should be required to use
>>SES or SAFTE enclosures for all SCSI devices, or that we should be like
>>Windows and constantly poll the devices?
>

> I don't care _how_ we make CAM/SCSI behave like the users expect.

Well, I waved my hands at it for a few minutes, but nothing changed...

My question to you was partially rhetorical, since a good solution just
doesn't exist.  Even the polling option isn't good because it will
disrupt things like burning CD's; in Windows, the CD burning software
packages that are out there go through an impressive set of hoops to
deal with this polling problem.

Scott