Re: ATAPICAM Problem

From: John Baldwin <jhb_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Mon, 28 Mar 2005 14:25:41 -0500
On Sunday 27 March 2005 09:10 am, Dag-Erling Smørgrav wrote:
> John Baldwin <jhb_at_FreeBSD.org> writes:
> > Note that many developers tend to only use the config / make depend /
> > make method as it is more natural if you are working on the kernel.  make
> > buildkernel is better suited for users on non-development machines
> > however.
>
> 'make buildkernel' works just fine for developers.  It's just a matter
> of habit, and of knowing how to use NO_KERNELCLEAN, NO_KERNELDEPEND,
> and MODULES_OVERRIDE.

I find it useful for cross builds, but cd ~/work/p4/foo/<arch>/compile/BLAH ;
make is significantly shorter than

make buildkernel NO_KERNELCLEAN=yes NO_KERNELDEPEND=yes NO_KERNELCONFIG=yes
KERNSRCDIR=/home/john/work/p4/foo KERNCONF=BLAH

It's also much faster, especially when building LINT and fixing typos and
syntax errors after a tree-wide sweep due to an API change.