Re: Reattach/redetect allways connected umass device - is it possible ?

From: M. Warner Losh <imp_at_bsdimp.com>
Date: Tue, 29 Mar 2005 01:10:54 -0700 (MST)
In message: <30956.1112011996_at_critter.freebsd.dk>
            "Poul-Henning Kamp" <phk_at_phk.freebsd.dk> writes:
: In message <20050328114633.GZ14532_at_cicely12.cicely.de>, Bernd Walter writes:
:
: >> camcontrol detach da0; camcontrol rescan all
: >> helps, but, it should be much better if it will be issued automatically.
: >
: >Yes - GEOM seems to ignore media change signals from drives.
: >I've added PHK to the recipient list - maybe he has an idea about this
: >problem.
:
: No, GEOM doesn't ignore any such thing, because as far as I know
: GEOM doesn't get any such thing to ignore in the first place.

The usb dongles don't appear to 'generate media gone on walkabout
events' as far as I've seen.  However, we should investigate the
possibility of querying the status for at each open, and updating the
geometry, et al, if it has changed.  This kind of polling would be
'lazy' so it wouldn't interfere with other parts of the system, but it
would likely be sufficient (since eject in the middle of I/O will
generate an I/O error).

Warner