Re: Reattach/redetect allways connected umass device - is it possible ?

From: Poul-Henning Kamp <phk_at_phk.freebsd.dk>
Date: Tue, 29 Mar 2005 10:21:32 +0200
In message <20050329.011148.69987814.imp_at_bsdimp.com>, "M. Warner Losh" writes:
>In message: <31970.1112016818_at_critter.freebsd.dk>
>            "Poul-Henning Kamp" <phk_at_phk.freebsd.dk> writes:
>: We should get an async event as soon as the media disappears.
>
>We don't really need to know it is gone until the next time we try to
>access it...

Tell that to somebody who is editing a document on the floppy that
is no longer there :-)

And while I agree with you that in one sense we don't _really_ need
to know.

But in another and more important sense I think we need to critically
consider the actual usage model seen from a users point of view.

And once we have settled on that model, we should implement it to
the best of our ability, rather than try to see what we "can get
away with".

I will maintain, based on what little that I have read about user
interfaces, that the logical and intuitive behaviour for a computing
system is to notice immediately (< 2s) that a storage media has
been removed.  I'm willing to be a tad more tolerant about inserts,
but not much more than 5 seconds.

I don't really care if our hardware is lame and brain-dead and needs
to be polled in Shakespearan english by actors in victorian custumes,
our job is to hide all that crap and give the system what to the
users look like a consistent and predictable behaviour.