Re: Heads up: gtar gone from base system

From: Craig Boston <craig_at_xfoil.gank.org>
Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2005 07:01:09 -0600
On Wednesday 30 March 2005 5:39 am, Stephen McKay wrote:
> Still, if you are using tar, be sure to use it correctly:
>
> ( cd srcdir && tar cf - . ) | ( cd destdir && tar xpf - )
>
> You don't want it going off in the current directory and mangling things
> just because of a little typo in a directory name.

I wonder, how does this compare to using cpio -p?

cd srcdir && find -d . -print0 | cpio -p -0d /absolute/destdir

(other than tar's syntax being easier to remember than cpio)

gtar used to have problems with truncating device nodes to 16 bits; not that
it's as much of an issue in the modern era with devfs.

Craig