Re: ciss(4): speed degradation for Compaq Smart Array [edited]

From: Andre Guibert de Bruet <andy_at_siliconlandmark.com>
Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2005 13:06:22 -0500 (EST)
On Wed, 30 Mar 2005, Doug White wrote:
> On Wed, 30 Mar 2005, Andrey Koklin wrote:
>
>> Firstly, I'm thankful to people who had found time to answer my previous
>> messed post privately. Indeed, I hadn't put there key information about
>> my system configuration, as well as the tests themselves say little or
>> nothing on real disk system performance (they used 1K blocks and didn't
>> take into consideration disks geometry).
>
> You've still omitted the array setup, including RAID type and stripe size.
>
> I'd also suggest using a tool like iozone to run your tests instead of dd.
> Unless your workload consists of entirely sequential writes this perf test
> is worthless.

Even bonnie++ (Which benchmarks far more than just the underlying storage
subsystem) would have been a better benchmark.

An excellent series of DOs and DONTs messages were exchanged last year in
January. An overview of the thread can be found at:
http://blog.delphij.net/archives/000047.html

Happy benchmarking! :-)
Andy