nfs not reconnecting?

From: Jonathan Noack <noackjr_at_alumni.rice.edu>
Date: Sat, 30 Apr 2005 19:04:39 -0500
Since upgrading to CURRENT a few weeks ago I've noticed my machine
hanging when attempting to reboot.  The machine hits the watchdog
timeout during the shutdown procedure because gkrellmd cannot be killed,
prompts me to check out "ps -axl", and then hangs after syncing disks.
I finally got around to checking it out and it appears some of the
threads in gkrellmd are getting stuck in the nfsreq state.

The machine is an NFS client on a RELENG_5_4 NFS server.  I generally
rebuild both machines at the same time for simplicity.  I then reboot
the server.  Once the server is back up, I reboot the client.  When the
client was running 5.x I saw "nfs server ... not responding" messages
during the reboot of the server but as soon as it was back up I got "nfs
server ... is alive again".  While running CURRENT I only see "not
responding" messages (confirmed by no responses after the day I upgraded
to "grep alive /var/log/messages" and "cat /var/log/messages.* | bunzip
| grep alive").  I do occasionally see the message, "nfs/tcp clnt: Peer
closed connection, tearing down TCP connection".

Does the NFS client not reconnect in CURRENT at this time?

--
Jonathan Noack | noackjr_at_alumni.rice.edu | OpenPGP: 0x991D8195