Re: kern/80381: Mouse via KVM doesn't load on 5.4, does if plugged directly into mouse port.

From: Brian K. White <brian_at_aljex.com>
Date: Tue, 3 May 2005 15:29:35 -0400
----- Original Message -----
From: "Harry Coin" <harrycoin_at_qconline.com>
To: <bug-followup_at_FreeBSD.org>; <freebsd-current_at_freebsd.org>
Sent: Tuesday, May 03, 2005 11:19 AM
Subject: Re: kern/80381: Mouse via KVM doesn't load on 5.4, does if plugged
directly into mouse port.

> Workaround Solution Found:
>
> If you build a custom kernel 5.4 with
>
> options KBD_RESETDELAY=401
>
> it finds the mouse and loads properly at boot time with or without the
> KVM.   I guess there is something about the timing in 5.4 where it just
> doesn't take as long to reset the ps/2 mouse psm0 aux device with the same
> parameters as 5.3 did.  So a generic 5.3  kernel worked via the KVM setup
> but 5.4 on the same box required the specified amount of time to increase,
> so needs a custom kernel.
>
> I suggest whoever is looking at the 5.4 release refer this change to the
> psm0 responsible party to consider making this change permanent.  It
> doesn't appreciably delay the boot process so far as I can tell.
>
> Harry
> ---
>
> I've found that 5.4 as of today won't load the psm0 driver if the box is
> connected through a KVM instead of directly to the mouse.
>
> When I plug the mouse directly into the box, 5.4 and 5.3 load psm0 no
> problem.
>
> When I plug the mouse in via the KVM, 5.4 won't load psm0 but 5.3 will.
>
> If I plug the mouse in directly at boot time under 5.4, so psm0 loads,
> then (don't do this at home) hot-unplug it and plug in the kvm-- the mouse
> works via the KVM.
>
> Hope this helps

I had problems with the mouse when trying to load Freesbie 1.1 on a few
different models of intel mb connected to a rackmount lcd/keyboard/touchpad
through a kvm
and the same freesbie cd worked fine when using the same server and console
but bypassing the kvm.
What I got was flaky/jerky mouse like when you force it to use the wrong
protocol. I couldn't find a protocol that I could force (instead of auto)
that worked either.

Wasn't important to me since they are really headless rackmount boxes and I
was only doing some testing anyways and it's a noname kvm that I don't have
any reason to have lots of faith in it being high quality,  so I didn't
bother reporting anything.
But seeing this thread I figured it might be noteworthy.

note: Freesbie 1.1 is 5.3-p2

Brian K. White  --  brian_at_aljex.com  --  http://www.aljex.com/bkw/
filePro BBx  Linux SCO  Prosper/FACTS AutoCAD  #callahans Satriani