Re: groff alternative?

From: Julian H. Stacey <jhs_at_flat.berklix.net>
Date: Tue, 03 May 2005 14:56:28 +0200
Lyndon Nerenberg wrote:
> --On 2005-4-30 6:00 AM +1000 Peter Jeremy
> <PeterJeremy_at_optushome.com.au> wrote:
>
> > I don't believe the nroff in either 4.3BSD or 2.11BSD can support long
> > names and neither include a mdoc(7) implementation.  4.4BSD includes
> > mdoc(7) but also GNU groff - though a quick look at the tmac.mdoc*
> > files suggests that it might work with an old (4.3 or 2.11) nroff.
>
> When the Solaris 10 source is released there will be an up-to-date
> alternative to groff. I'm planning to switch over to the Solaris troff
> ASAP. I've already started fixing mdoc to work with ditroff on another
> Solaris 10 box.

OK, this is off original topic of search for a micro roff, but:..

Old FreeBSD groff allowed
	.PSPIC inch.eps 3.04i 0.2c R
	.\" 7.6c from left, 0.3 width, 1.049i long
	.PSPIC -I 7.6c point.eps 0.3c 1.049i
	.PSPIC inc/vsl_logo.eps 6.8c 0.4c
ie seperate vertical & horizontal scale factors & offsets.
Apparently that full functionality was back in PWB version of some code.

The new FreeBSD  (GNU) groff/ pic/ whatever only seems to allow a
degenerate sub set.  I too will be looking around to personaly dump
this new .PSPIC & find some old roff / pic filter sources whatever,
as soon as I get time to find out what to discard & replace to avoid
this crippled .PSPIC

-
Julian Stacey        Net & Sys Eng Consultant, Munich       http://berklix.com
Mail in Ascii (Html=Spam).  Ihr Rauch = mein allergischer Kopfschmerz.