Re: boot banner project

From: M. Warner Losh <imp_at_bsdimp.com>
Date: Wed, 04 May 2005 20:34:38 -0600 (MDT)
In message: <6dc0162f9029defe6980a9ae28bb5175_at_mac.com>
            Charles Swiger <cswiger_at_mac.com> writes:
: On May 4, 2005, at 8:51 PM, M. Warner Losh wrote:
: > : The fact that the /etc/rc scripts, cron, and similar tools involving
: > : root's environment are all run using /bin/sh is one of the primary
: > : reasons why root shell ought to be /bin/sh.  There are newgroup FAQs
: > : for various platforms which recommend against changing root's shell
: > : from being a /bin/sh.
: >
: > That doesn't follow.
:
: Do FreeBSD users ever have problems setting up cron jobs because their
: interactive environment and cron's are not the same?

Not likely.  However, you are arguing for a change, while I'm just
telling you why things are the way they are historically.

: > All my shell scripts run /bin/sh, yet my default shell is /bin/tcsh.
:
: Sure; lots of people prefer another shell for interactive use.

ok.  We're done.  It is a preference.  Have a nice day.

: > But like I've said twice now: There's lots of bigger problems in the
: > tree, and a change like this could break things.  There's enough
: > breakage in the tree now.
:
: Data point: I've been running /bin/sh as root's shell on a bunch of
: machines with zero issues since 4.0.

I know people that have been running it since 1.0 that way.  However,
as you said above "lots of people prefer another shell for interactive
use."

Anyway, this is my last post to his subthread.  Please do not confuse
a historical explaination as advocacy for a specific thing.

Have a nice day, you hear?

Warner