Re: Very low disk performance Highpoint 1820a

From: Steven Hartland <killing_at_multiplay.co.uk>
Date: Sun, 8 May 2005 22:40:31 +0100
----- Original Message -----
From: "Willem Jan Withagen" <wjw_at_withagen.nl>

> That is well phrased English for what I was trying to say. I'm glad to see
> that it worked for you. And I'm certainly impressed by the numbers...
>
> This is on a 4 disk RAID5 with one hot spare???

Unfortunately not, we needed the capacity so went for pure RAID5
and considering Im not far away from the machine its easy to just
pop a new disk in there when I get the email or hear the raid siren
go off ( dam noisy thing :P ).

One thing of interest uncovered in my testing was linux's software
RAID5 was very good, producing:
Write: 269Mb/s
Read: 259Mb/s
and that vimun had surprising poor results, but this could well be
attributed to poor defaults Im not sure.
Write: 6Mb/s
Read: 23Mb/s

All tested with pure RAID5 on 5 disks ( no hot swap ).

Checkout the "Very low disk performance on 5.x" thread on:
freebsd-performance_at_freebsd.org

    Steve

or return the E.mail to postmaster_at_multiplay.co.uk.