Re: Mouse / psm0 via D-Link KVM won't load on 5.4, does on 5.3

From: Doug White <dwhite_at_gumbysoft.com>
Date: Sun, 8 May 2005 15:55:49 -0700 (PDT)
On Thu, 5 May 2005, Harry Coin wrote:

> I'm not sure I have a 5.3 around anymore.  But I can take the kernel option
> I inserted to delay the reset out of the 5.4 kernel and give you a boot -v
> of it failing to load psm0, and then give you a boot -v of the 5.4 kernel
> with the reset time set to 401 (default is 201) where it has no
> problem.  It would take time but I could do it if that would be
> helpful.  Let me know.

Saw another note that this worked. Good to know.

> The Microsoft OS's are aware of this, their mouse drivers allow for ample
> aux reset settling time as the various KVM's pass signals 'up the chain'
> eventually reaching whatever mouse is attached.   (I've written several
> time-sensitive device drivers for MS OS's so I have some history with this
> stuff.)  The increase in reset wait time needed is still a second or less,
> and it only happens once at boot time.  Seems an acceptable change to suggest.

I only worry that keyboard controllers are even more quirky than ATA
drives with regards to timeouts and waits.  Changing the default would
have to be done with lots of testing.

Making the value controllable by loader tunable would at least save you
the recompile.