Re: Using nvidia-driver with 6-x/CURRENT

From: Daniel O'Connor <doconnor_at_gsoft.com.au>
Date: Mon, 9 May 2005 20:50:27 +0930
On Mon, 9 May 2005 19:33, Giorgos Keramidas wrote:
> On 2005-05-09 10:06, Daniel O'Connor <doconnor_at_gsoft.com.au> wrote:
> > Also, if we're talking about the port can it modify the makefile so
> > the KLD installs into /boot/kernel? Going into /boot/modules is a
> > recipe for user frustration :(
>
> I understand that arguments for or against of either choise exist.
>
> For instance, by installing in /boot/modules one easily avoids the
> problem of having to manually copy some files or reinstall the port from
> scratch after *every* installkernel.

Sure, but the downside for putting it in /boot/kernel is that you don't get X
the next boot. The downside for /boot/modules is that your system crashes
when X starts, or earlier :)

I think it would be possible to have ports install source code when they are
installed to rebuild the module when the kernel is built. I have some
prototype code for this but it doesn't always work and I don't have the
knowledge of the kernel make environment to get it working 100% :(

What I have so far is here..
http://www.dons.net.au/~darius/port-kld.diff
http://www.dons.net.au/~darius/port-makefile.txt

are so many of them to choose from."