Re: Packaging of base system

From: Eric Anderson <anderson_at_centtech.com>
Date: Mon, 09 May 2005 07:00:48 -0500
Brian Candler wrote:
> I'm not sure if this is the right place to post, so please point me
> elsewhere if there's a better one.
>
> Recent discussions here mentioned the installation/upgrading/packaging of
> the FreeBSD base system.
>
> Question: is there any fundamental reason why this could not now be moved to
> using the 'package' system rather than just chunked tarballs, in time for
> FreeBSD 6?
[..snip large amounts of stuff..]

I think this is a good move, however, how would things like portupgrade
determine the difference between a port and a base system pkg?  I
suppose one could throw the right ignore concoctions into the HOLD_PKGS
array in pkgtools.conf.

I suppose this would break 5.x->6.x binary upgrades, however I'm not
sure that's safe anyhow. :)

Eric

A lost ounce of gold may be found, a lost moment of time never.