Re: boot banner project

From: Charles Swiger <cswiger_at_mac.com>
Date: Tue, 10 May 2005 01:09:57 -0400
[ Sorry for the delay in responding, I decided to take the weekend off
from email.  600 FreeBSD messages await me, no doubt filled with a
mixture of useful tech stuff and the copyright-thread-that-won't-die. ]

On May 8, 2005, at 3:57 AM, Michael Nottebrock wrote:
>>> You got lucky then, because there's some actual footshooting
>>> potential in
>>> doing that. Use toor.
>>
>> Interesting, I have been running /bin/sh since 1.0R (yes..) for root
>> and it never bit me.  Where is that footshooting potential?
>
> Sorry, I just scanned the thread before replying - there's probably no
> footshooting potential in using /bin/sh for root.
>
> I was thinking about using (/usr/local/bin/)bash for root, something a
> lot of
> people try to do (until they notice a toe missing :).

I've managed to plunk a round or two into my own foot, using a shell
located in /usr/local, rather than staticly linked and present on /.
:-)  It's no fun to boot off a CD because the system can't automaticly
fsck the filesystem that root's shell wants to use, and wants manual
help...

However, the toor account is a fine idea: every system I've got--
whether running FreeBSD or not-- uses /bin/sh for root's shell.
However, I've also created toor accounts using my preferred shell [1]
as a backup.  If FreeBSD were to ship with tcsh as toor's shell, and
/bin/sh as root's shell, that would still provide a super-user login
with tcsh for those who want such a thing.

However, logging in as a normal user and gaining privileges via sudo
seems to work just as well, and avoids the need to login directly as a
UID==0 account.

--
-Chuck

[1]: ZSH.