Re: Packaging of base system

From: Jon Dama <jd_at_ugcs.caltech.edu>
Date: Tue, 10 May 2005 15:32:05 -0700 (PDT)
There is an essential difference between packaging the base system and
having a distribution in the style of the linux distributions:

The "base system" packages are treated differently from the greater ports
collection:  They are released periodically as a unit.  They are versioned
as a unit.  They have POLA assurances.

Right now the base system is already loosely packaged.  i.e., there are
knobs in /etc/make.conf to control which parts get built.

The points of trouble are:
1) sysinstall doesn't understand this granularity
2) the user visible means of manipulating which parts of the base system
   are installed are gratuitously different from ports.
2a) no mechanism exists to verify that /etc/make.conf contains
    a consistent set of components (dependency issues)--no mechanism
    that is accept to try and see what crumbles a couple of hours later.

-Jon