Re: IPFILTER Branch [was: Re: [current tinderbox] failure on powerpc/powerpc]

From: Darren Reed <darrenr_at_hub.freebsd.org>
Date: Tue, 10 May 2005 15:40:35 +0000
On Sat, May 07, 2005 at 09:08:52PM -0600, Scott Long wrote:
> Darren's latest import wasn't ever tested on FreeBSD, nor did he make
> any attempt to make it compile on FreeBSD before he imported it.

That's just utter bullshit.

> He merely dropped it in CVS and walked away.

As is that.  I spent the best partof the next 2 to 3 days getting
it together.  But I could be generous and accept that it appeared
like that but really, what you call "walking away" is what I call
"sleeping."

Maybe you have more time in your life such that you can do commits
in hours that aren't next to when you sleep.  I'm not so fortunate.

Or maybe you just don't need to sleep.

Or maybe you're just ignorant that people do work when they can and
in timezones that don't align well with most European/North Americans.

> If it wasn't for the teamwork of others, it would still be broken.

This time there were some parts that needed work that were outside my
experience for FreeBSD.  That's unlikely to be needed again now that the
framework has changed.

> CVS is where work goes that is done and tested, not where undercooked
> hacks go while waiting for others to clean them up.

It's always tested (as in it works) before it is imported.

The only issue I generally have is with driving CVS and making sure all
the right bits go in the right place and that it compiles cleanly.

If I had enough "stuff" I'd rsync out the repo, do a test of everything
against a clone of the repo, test that a few times and then commit into
FreeBSD.  Well, at least for the last import.  But the only resource *I*
have (currently) are those in freebsd.org and my laptop that needs to be
used for a lot more things (like run FreeBSD 4 and  FreeBSD 5, too.)

Darren