Re: CVSup rewrite - aka csup

From: Miguel Mendez <flynn_at_energyhq.es.eu.org>
Date: Wed, 11 May 2005 21:59:11 +0200
On Wed, 11 May 2005 21:06:01 +0200
Maxime Henrion <mux_at_FreeBSD.org> wrote:

Hi,

First of all, kudos for doing this. I know I'm not the only one who
once pondered doing a port to C and gave up after spending several
hours digging into the original modula3 code.

I remeber when you first mentioned this on irc, I had forgotten about
it.

> I've taken some time to write down a TODO list, trying to document all
> the bugs, ugly parts of the code, missing bits and features, etc...  If
> you feel like implementing something listed there, or something that I
> forgot to list, you are most welcome.

While having C code makes things certainly easier I think it would be
great if a README.PROTOCOL file with a more formal description of how
csup does its magic was available, as it would make it easier to get
familiar with the code. Other than that I think having this in a public
cvs repo (sourceforge or hosted on the FreeBSD servers) would be great
to get things rolling. Unfortunately my spare time is already very
limited and filled with other FreeBSD related stuff, but this sounds
like a very interesting project that could benefit the other BSDs as
well.

My other question is, what does John Polstra himself think about this?
If somebody can help here is the author of the original tool which
probably is busy enough already, but I'm curious about his opinion.

> Finally, my sincere apologies to everyone for having taken so much time
> to actually release my code.  It was much harder than I thought.

Thanks for doing this.

Cheers,
--
Miguel Mendez <flynn_at_energyhq.es.eu.org>
http://www.energyhq.es.eu.org