RE: cannot log on as root after upgrade

From: Darren Pilgrim <dmp_at_bitfreak.org>
Date: Sat, 14 May 2005 00:31:47 -0700
> Li, Qing wrote:
>
> 	I performed a cvs sync today and buildworld. After the system reboot
>       I cannot log on as root, the error message that is shown on console
>       is "login: pam_acct_mgmt(): authentication error".
>       I can still log on as a normal user.

I'm having this same problem with on a system built from sources pulled down
today.  Logging in on the console as root produces the "pam_acct_mgmt():
authentication error" message.  However, logging in as a normal user works
fine and I can then `su -` to root without error, so I know my password
files are ok.

I completely reinstalled my /etc/pam.d directory, no luck.  Re-built and
installed the world as single user, no luck, still broken.