Re: PAM breakage

From: Xin LI <delphij_at_frontfree.net>
Date: Sun, 15 May 2005 01:44:00 +0800
On Sat, May 14, 2005 at 12:15:47PM -0400, David Gurvich wrote:
> I have been having a similar problem.  I can no longer login as root, getting
> a pam error.  However, I can boot into single-user mode, modify a normal user
> to allow that user to su root.  Then I can login using root & root password.
> I cannot login as root at all otherwise.  Likewise SSH is disabled for
> everyone.
>
> I don't believe that disabling root login is bad.  I still haven't figured out
> how to enable ssh.

Sorry, that's my fault.  I have introduced a bug into libc which has caused
PAM breakage.  Try to go single user, and mount /usr, / as read-write,
edit src/lib/libc/gen/ttyname.c, and change line 87 of it, which should read:

	return (EINVAL);

Change that to:

	return (0);

Then go to /usr/src/lib/libc and run:

	make NO_MAN=yes all install

And everything should back to normal.

Cheers,
--
Xin LI <delphij frontfree net>	http://www.delphij.net/
See complete headers for GPG key and other information.