(unknown charset) Re: BSDcan slides uploaded

From: (unknown charset) Jon Dama <jd_at_ugcs.caltech.edu>
Date: Fri, 20 May 2005 01:40:51 -0700 (PDT)
What exactly do you mean?  The way this is typically done is that you
write in ASN.1 the spec for your data interchange and feed it through a
compiler which generates (in a target language) the functions to encode
and decode the asn.1 + encoding rules stream.  The compiler essentially
knows how to make "one" generic encoder and decoder and customizes it
according to the spec.

This isn't much different from yacc, though imo, it's simpler.  Of course
there are several generations of ASN.1, different encoding rule options,
etc which complicate the situation.

Anyways, I don't understand your question exactly: do you mean to ask
about an ASN.1 compiler?

Fair enough about writing one parser per device class rather than two.
As I mentioned, ASN.1 is good approach to data exchange in bandwidth
constrained applications--I don't see any evidence that applies here.
So I agree with you essentially and was just trying to elaborate on the
actual meaning of your elliptic remark :-)

    -Jon

note: I do not in any way mean to encourage the idea that yacc should be
used to generate code inside the kernel.