FreeBSD 5.3 forgets some of my users

From: Kövesdán Gábor <gabor.kovesdan_at_t-hosting.hu>
Date: Sat, 21 May 2005 22:55:43 +0200
Hello there,

there is a strange thing.... FreeBSD 5.3 randomly frogets some of my
users. Sometimes I see in the first column of the ps aux output the uid
number instead of the login name, but next when I run it, there is the
login name. Besides, I tried to chown a directory to an existing user,
but the I get an error message, that there wasn't such user.
I immediately checked passwd, group and master.passwd files in /etc but
the entry for that user was present there. The pw userdel was unable to
delete that user, so I had to manually remove it from those three files
and create it again. It worked then, but a bit later there was the same
result. I'm quite annoyed now. This state isn't safe enough, I have to
do something to get around with this. Do You have similar experiences?
Or do You now some kinda workaround?

Cheers,

Gábor Kövesdán