Re: [CALL FOR TESTERS] VESA High Resolution Console support from DragonFly

From: Alexandre \ <Alex.Kovalenko_at_verizon.net>
Date: Sun, 22 May 2005 10:36:03 -0400
On Sun, 2005-05-22 at 19:26 +0800, Xin LI wrote:
> Dear -CURRENT users,
>
> I would like to solicit a test of the following patchset which is based
> on DragonFly's changes, against -CURRENT, to bring high resolution console
> support to FreeBSD.  The current patchset can be considered as "BETA" and
> I would commit it if there is no complain about this patchset in the next
> week.
>
> The patchset can be found at:
> 	http://people.freebsd.org/~delphij/vesa/patchset-highres.20050522
>
> To use it, you will need latest -CURRENT code, and apply the patchset at
> toplevel source tree, i.e. /usr/src for usual cases.  Then you need to build
> and reinstall your kernel, with 'options SC_PIXEL_MODE' compiled in, and
> optionally options VESA if you don't want to manually load VESA support
> module.  A make buildworld/installworld is recommended, but I believe that
> just rebuild/reinstall usr.sbin/vidcontrol is enough to get your hands on
> the support for using something like 'vidcontrol MODE_239' or so, which will
> switch the current console to that mode.  Some mode may not work on certain
> cards, though.
>
> Please let me know if anything strange happens;  While I have been running
> with the patch for a while, I would still be happy if you will report that
> it works :-)
>
> Thanks in advance!
>
> Cheers,
Works very well here (Averatec 3150H notebook with S3 ProSavage video
chipset). Current sources are from May 14.

I was able to switch console into 1024x768x32 (mode 280).

Mouse cursor displays and moves around, but since I am not using mouse
on the console I could not report much on that.

Thank you very much,
--
Alexandre "Sunny" Kovalenko (Олександр Коваленко)