Re: Timekeeping hosed by factor 3, high lapic[01] interrupt rates

From: Doug White <dwhite_at_gumbysoft.com>
Date: Sun, 22 May 2005 11:34:44 -0700 (PDT)
On Sat, 21 May 2005, Jens Schweikhardt wrote:

> On Fri, May 20, 2005 at 12:44:50PM -0700, Doug White wrote:
> # > Note that there's no
> # > irq0: clk                         745029       1000
> # > appearing. I'm not an expert, but that's unexpected to my eyes.
> #
> # Not totally (I don't have irq0 on any of my -current machines after the
> # lapic change), but it being there before and then going away implies the
> # kernel is choosing a different timecounter than before, and the new one
> # may be bogus.
> #
> # Can you get the output of 'sysctl kern.timecounter' for both working and
> # broken kernels?
>

> broken:
> kern.timecounter.hardware: i8254
> kern.timecounter.choice: TSC(-100) i8254(0) dummy(-1000000)
>
> working:
> kern.timecounter.hardware: i8254
> kern.timecounter.choice: TSC(-100) i8254(0) dummy(-1000000)

Okay, no change there.

> # When did you pull sources for the original working kernel and the new
> # broken kernel?
>
> Working: around March 5 (I always cvsup before compiling a system)
> Broken:  May 17 (after the ATA hangs at boot were fixed)

Lets try this:
0. If you're overclocking your CPU, don't.
1. Boot with ACPI enabled and print the two kern.timecount sysctls above.
I'm curious if its picking up the ACPI timecounter.
2. Shutdown and unplug the machine for about 20 minutes or overnight if
convenient. Plug it back in, go into BIOS Setup and check the clock.  If its
off or dead then the CMOS battery is dead.
3. Backout rev 1.218 of src/sys/i386/isa/clock.c so the irq0 interrupt
handler is reactivated and the RTC fiddled.

> Some time in the past, the system would hang at boot with acpi enabled.
> So I kept a hint.acpi.0.disabled="1" in /boot/device.hints. But even
> without that hint, the time dilation effect (hey, it's the Einstein
> Year!) is the same...

This would imply the source of the problem is not in the timecounter,
which doesn't make sense.

Are you running ntpd?